As we speak’s recipe is a salty beef aspect dish referred to as jangjjorim, probably the most standard Korean aspect dishes. A bit of salty, flaky, and a little bit chewy beef on a spoonful of rice tastes pleasant! The meat soaked in a garlicky, peppery savory broth may be very flavorful, so that you don’t want numerous it to take pleasure in it, or to get the style. It’s meant to be served along with rice and different aspect dishes, which makes it an important merchandise for lunchboxes.
After I was younger, beef was very costly in Korea, so my mom seldom made jangjorim. However every so often I tasted it I actually beloved it. In elementary college we children introduced our lunchboxes to highschool and me and my buddies would sit collectively at lunchtime and share our aspect dishes with one another. I used to be at all times excited to see what aspect dishes my buddies introduced! I used to be at all times excited at lunchtime.
There was a wealthy woman in our class who didn’t eat with us. Her household was operating the most important bookstore within the metropolis. She was the one woman in class whose household’s maid introduced her a heat lunch at lunchtime. Me and my buddies had rice and kimchi and easy aspect dishes similar to stir-fried anchovies, braised beans, and fishcakes. It was scrumptious however I may see the wealthy woman had issues like jangjorim and heat bulgogi. Round that point even a sunny aspect up egg was a luxurious for us. I used to envy the children who had a cooked egg over their rice.
How a lot issues have modified! Now I can simply afford meat and eggs however I want to chop down as a result of an excessive amount of ldl cholesterol just isn’t good for me.
I posted a jangjorim recipe on my web site years in the past that used much less beef and added substances like boiled eggs and extra inexperienced chili peppers. This new recipe I’m exhibiting you at present is the extra conventional means, which concentrates on the braised beef. The opposite recipe makes use of honey, however this one makes use of an onion for sweetness as a substitute. Be at liberty so as to add a little bit honey or sugar for those who prefer it sweeter.
You may retailer in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as one week, and even longer for those who add extra soy sauce. Regardless that we trim the fats off the meat you might discover that after refrigerating there’s some tiny white stable fats floating on prime. I at all times heat it up within the microwave earlier than serving, after which it appears and tastes identical to it’s freshly made.
My Korean lunch desk with jangjorim
- 1 pound beef flank steak (or beef brisket, beef eye spherical, shank meat, or any beef with a grain), reduce alongside the grain into 2½ x 1½ x ¼ inch items
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion (about 6-7 ounces)
- 2 inexperienced chili peppers (serrano peppers, jalapeño peppers, or delicate shishito peppers), reduce into ½ inch items
- Put the meat in a heavy pot with 3 to 4 cups of water. Cowl and boil for about 7 to eight minutes over medium-high warmth till brownish foam comes as much as the floor.
- Drain and rinse the meat below chilly operating water, and drain once more. Wash out the pot to take away any brown foam and bits.
- Return the meat to the clear pot. Add 4 cups water, cowl, and prepare dinner for 50 minutes over medium warmth till the meat will get tender.
- Add the soy sauce, ½ cup water, garlic, onion, and inexperienced chili pepper. Stir a number of instances with a picket spoon.
- Cowl and prepare dinner for one more 20 minutes over medium warmth.
- Take away the pot from the warmth and let it calm down till you may deal with the meat together with your fingers.
- Take out the meat and tear it into skinny strips. Put it right into a serving bowl and add some garlic and inexperienced chili pepper, together with a few of the braising liquid.
- Refrigerate the leftovers in an hermetic container for as much as 1 week.