Eundaegu-jorim (braised sablefish or black cod) is a well-liked dish at Korean eating places for a superb motive: it’s scrumptious! Sablefish is flaky, mushy, and has a juicy texture, irrespective of the way it’s ready. The Korean approach of making ready this fish is braising it in a savory mixture of soy sauce, garlic, spicy gochugaru, and Korean radish. For lots of people, the radish is probably the most scrumptious half! It provides favor to the braised fish however it additionally soaks up all the opposite tasty, savory components and turns into an actual spotlight of this dish. The result’s an actual Korean style.
A lot of my readers and viewers have requested for this recipe through the years, so I’m so excited to share it with you at present. As a fish lover, it was enjoyable to work on and check.
Curiously, the Korean phrase eundaegu means “silver cod,” as a result of relying how the sunshine hits the fish, it may look darkish and black or shiny and silver. We Koreans selected to name it silver, and People, Canadians, and the British name it black!
Attempt to get the very best quality of sablefish you’ll be able to for this recipe, it actually makes an enormous distinction. I used sablefish contemporary frozen from Alaska, however contemporary caught would even be great.
Get pleasure from!
- 1 pound black cod (also called sablefish) fillets, reduce into 3-inch items
- 1 pound Korean radish (or daikon), peeled and sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- 1 giant onion, sliced
- 1 dae-pa (or 4 inexperienced onions), reduce diagonally into 1 inch items.
- 1 or 2 inexperienced chili peppers, coarsely chopped.
For seasoning sauce:
- In a bowl, mix soy sauce, minced garlic, gochu-garu, and sugar (if utilizing). Combine properly and put aside.
- Prepare the radish rounds on the underside of a giant pot or skillet. Add 2 cups of water, cowl, and cook dinner over medium-high warmth for quarter-hour.
- Uncover and flip the radish rounds with a spatula for even cooking. Add sliced onions, daepa, and inexperienced chili peppers over the radish.
- Place the fish fillets on high one after the other, leaving area between each bit.
- Pour the ready sauce excessive and canopy. Scale back the warmth to medium and cook dinner for 10 minutes.
- Open and gently transfer the radish round with a spoon in order that the radish wouldn’t burn. Spoon some broth over the fish and radish to season evenly.
- Cowl and simmer over medium warmth for an additional 5 to 7 minutes till each the radish and fish are properly infused with the sauce, and a few broth has evaporated. The radish ought to seem a bit brown and clear when correctly cooked.
- Take away from warmth and serve the dish with rice and some extra facet dishes.
Word: Regulate the cooking time based mostly on the thickness of the fish fillets and your range’s warmth degree. Chances are you’ll want so as to add a bit extra water throughout braising. Get pleasure from your scrumptious black cod and radish stew!