Easy oven-baked Korean spicy pork is made with simply 4 seasoning elements however is completely scrumptious with an identical taste profile as Korean Pork Bulgogi. And it’s freezer pleasant and baked within the oven so it comes out good each time!
Easy Oven Baked Korean Spicy Pork is the one manner I can title this dish because it has no conventional Korean title to it. As a result of a conventional Korean kitchen doesn’t have an oven and there aren’t any ‘genuine’ Korean dishes that’s cooked within the oven.
However after having lived within the US for therefore lengthy and having gone by the pandemic of getting to prepare dinner meals at residence on a regular basis. I’ve to be sincere and say that I’ve actually been desirous to develop Korean recipes that may be cooked within the oven as a result of that simply makes issues just a little bit less complicated. Additionally, I do know many individuals could choose this oven recipe because the oven often means extra constant outcomes with out having to hover over the stovetop on a regular basis.
A number of weeks in the past, my nephew’s household came visiting and stayed with us for per week. They’ve two younger children who they’re homeschooling and so my nephew’s spouse Eunhyang was telling me how she at all times wants recipes which are quite simple to prepare dinner and doesn’t require numerous prep. So I requested her what are a few of her favourite dishes to make and she or he instructed me that she has 2 superior pork dishes that they make on a regular basis and the children love them.
So I instructed her that I might like to be taught extra about it and she or he provided to make them with me! And boy, sure, they have been soo easy and simple to make however oh so scrumptious!! THANK YOU Eunhyang for sharing this dish with me!
Now, because it often goes, once I requested her for the recipe for this Oven Baked Korean Spicy Pork, she instructed me that there’s truly no recipe. That she cooks very a lot by really feel and mentioned the one manner she will be able to share the recipe is by simply displaying me what she does and we may measure alongside the way in which. However as a result of even the meat quantity was by really feel, it took me a few tries to really make it into an correct recipe.
Effectively, right here it’s people, the one I share right here tastes much like pork bulgogi however with no ginger and in addition with much less sweetness. Be happy to extend the sweetness or add ginger in the event you’d like, I believe it’s going to nonetheless be scrumptious. However I do hope you’ll strive these quite simple but completely balanced flavors earlier than you begin including numerous different seasonings.
What I like about this oven-baked Korean spicy pork
Restricted Seasoning Elements
This recipe solely wants 4 elements moreover pork – soy sauce, Korean purple chili powder (gochukaru), garlic, inexperienced plum extract (maesil cheong). I do know not everybody can get the inexperienced plum extract (btw, if you should buy it or make your personal, I extremely advocate it) so in the event you can’t, you should use my substitute recipe which is water, apple cider vinegar and sugar. Right here’s my maesil cheong recipe if you wish to make your personal at residence.
Having the ability to freeze forward of time in parts after which simply prepare dinner it when you find yourself able to eat is an effective way to avoid wasting time and is a good consolation for busy individuals. You may freeze the marinated pork in parts then simply defrost, season a bit extra then bake within the oven.
Korean Spicy Pork works with DIFFERENT PORK CUTS
I used Samgyeopsal (삼겹살 pork stomach) for this recipe however you may also make this utilizing pork shoulder (앞다리살 apdarisal) or butt (목심살 mokshimsal). See my Know Your Pork Lower publish for more information and a diagram.
When my nephew’s spouse Eunhyang made it, she simply purchased a giant pork shoulder piece from complete meals and sliced it at residence. Simply observe, when shopping for cuts apart from pork stomach, ensure you get one which has some fats. If you’ll use a really lean minimize of pork, I might advocate including some sesame oil when baking so it doesn’t change into too dry.
- Soy Sauce – I like to make use of Korean Jin Ganjang 진간장 however you should use Kikomman or Tamari for GF possibility. Learn extra about Korean soy sauce HERE.
- Korean Pink Chili Powder (Gochukaru 고추가루) – Korean purple chili powder is completely different so please use the Korean one in the event you can. You may select to make use of a extra spicy one known as Cheongyang Gochukaru 청양고추가루 in the event you’d like.
- Inexperienced Plum Extract (매실청 Maesil Cheong Syrup) – that is one among my favourite sweetening syrups to make use of in Korean recipes, particularly for marinades and dressings. If you should buy the contemporary plums, use my RECIPE to make it at residence. You will have to let it ferment for 3 months. If not, you may also purchase them on-line. If you wish to substitute, right here’s my Inexperienced Plum Extract substitute – for 4 tsp extract, combine 1 Tbsp water + 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (사과식초 Sahgwa Shikcho) + 1/2 tsp sugar.
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce and chili powder. Let it sit for a couple of min or longer whilst you minimize the pork. You can even make this forward and preserve in fridge till prepared to make use of.
- Slice pork stomach or pork shoulder, towards the grain in 1/4 to 1/third inch thickness.
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Coat the sliced pork slices with the chili powder soy sauce combine. The soy sauce combination needs to be fairly thick and pasty – so you will have to spend a few minutes to evenly coat all of the pork with the combo.
- At this level, you may STOP and retailer the marinated Korean spicy pork within the fridge for a day or so to prepare dinner later OR you may even FREEZE in parts wrapped in parchment paper. (it is a nice trick I realized from Eunhyang and I adore it! as a result of it doesn’t stick all collectively within the freezer prefer it occurs when wrapped in plastic). Then every time you might be able to prepare dinner, simply defrost the Korean spicy pork and proceed the following steps proper earlier than placing within the oven. The explanation for not including the garlic and maesil earlier than freezing is that generally the flavors of the garlic get muted or perhaps a little bitter when frozen. Eunhyang says she discovered it greatest so as to add the garlic and maesil proper earlier than placing within the oven.
- When you’re able to prepare dinner, add chopped garlic and Maesil cheong (inexperienced plum extract) to the chili powder soy sauce coated pork. Combine and therapeutic massage every little thing nicely by hand.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper (or tin foil however parchment paper works nicely), unfold all of the pork items out in a single layer. That is so they’re cooked evenly.
- When oven is prepared, put within the pork and prepare dinner at 375℉ for 10 min. After 10min, take out the pan and switch over each bit. With pork items turned over, put the pan again within the oven and improve oven temp to 400℉ and prepare dinner for an additional 10 min. Word, in case you are utilizing a smaller toaster oven, the meat could also be performed earlier than the ten min. So test after 5 min or so to see if it’s beginning to burn on the edges – by which case it is best to take them out from the oven.
- Now, you might be able to EAT!
Right here’s a close-up of the way it comes out when it’s all baked and performed. Isn’t it simply merely attractive?
And the way I like to take pleasure in this oven-baked Korean spicy pork is with some inexperienced onion salad – Pa Muchim – like so!
Chef’s Suggestions for Oven Baked Korean Spicy Pork
- FREEZE for later – After step 5, divide the meat into parts (I do 1 lb every) and wrap the meat in parchment paper after which put them in a plastic bag to freeze. You may defrost later and go on to subsequent step. See video to see how I do it.
- Elective Veggies – bake some sliced onions or bell peppers along with your pork
- Modify the quantity of Maesil – use 4 to five tsp maesil cheong for 1 lb of pork. It’s not going to style candy however simply have a touch of sweetness at this stage.
- No oven? In the event you don’t have an oven, you may simply simply pan fry the pork.
- Make a fast Korean type Inexperienced Onion Salad (Pa Muchim) with some sliced inexperienced onions (soaked in water), lettuce combine, and purple onion slices. I often toss it with a swirl of Maesil Cheong, few sprinklings of rice vinegar, salt, pepper and gochukaru. Soo scrumptious with the pork!
- And naturally, serve with RICE!
Right here’s my totally narrated Youtube Video on How I make this quite simple Korean Spicy Pork within the Oven!
Oven Baked Korean Spicy Pork
Easiest Oven Baked Korean Spicy Pork is a good freezer pleasant, make forward recipe to make. Want solely 4 seasoning elements.
Prep: 10 minutes
Prepare dinner: 20 minutes
Complete Time: 30 minutes
Serving: 2g| Energy: 1241kcal (62%)| Carbohydrates: 12g (4%)| Protein: 24g (48%)| Fats: 121g (186%)| Saturated Fats: 44g (275%)| Polyunsaturated Fats: 13g| Monounsaturated Fats: 56g| Ldl cholesterol: 163mg (54%)| Sodium: 1115mg (48%)| Potassium: 600mg (17%)| Fiber: 3g (13%)| Sugar: 8g (9%)| Vitamin A: 2395IU (48%)| Vitamin C: 3mg (4%)| Calcium: 49mg (5%)| Iron: 3mg (17%)