When you have ever been to South Korea, you’ve almost definitely tried conventional pork stomach. The meat is tender and never too spicy, and it’s an ideal a part of a feast for company or household gatherings.
With this recipe, you may convey all the lovely Korean pork stomach flavors to your kitchen!
This recipe makes use of a cast-iron Dutch oven as a way to brown your meat and put it within the oven utilizing just one dish.
Components for the pork stomach
- Scant 3/4 cup sliced ginger root (about 10 inches earlier than slicing)
- 3 tablespoons Korean soybean paste (doenjang, see FAQs)
- 1 giant onion, lower into quarters
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed in a garlic press or finely diced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Korean chili paste (gochujang, see FAQs)
- 2 1/2 kilos pork stomach, with the pores and skin on (you need that tasty crackling!)
- Water (to cowl half the meat)
Components for the pickled radish
- 2 cups Korean white radish (peeled and sliced finely)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, or Korean apple vinegar (or rice vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons floor Szechuan chili peppers
- 1 clove garlic, mashed in a press or finely diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
Components for the sauce
- 2 tablespoons Korean soybean paste (doenjang)
- 1 tablespoon Korean chili paste (gochujang)
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, mashed in a garlic press or finely diced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- Steamed candy rice
- Complete inexperienced or pink leaf lettuce
- Perilla leaves (non-compulsory)
- Preheat the oven to 400 levels F (200 levels C).
- Slice the pork stomach into equal-sized chunks (about 20 items).
- Put the pork stomach into your Dutch oven together with the remaining pork stomach components. Add enough water to cowl half the peak of the meat.
- Prepare dinner within the oven, lined, for one hour, then cut back the warmth to 200 levels F (93 levels C). In case your oven doesn’t go this low, use the bottom temperature attainable.
- Go away it to cook dinner for an extra 4-6 hours or until it’s good and tender.
- Whereas the meat is cooking, put together the pickled radish by combining all components in a bowl. Cowl the bowl and refrigerate until able to serve.
- Combine all of the sauce components in one other bowl, and go away to 1 facet (no must refrigerate).
- When the meat is nearly finished, steam your rice (see under for the way to do this).
- Put together the lettuce and perilla leaves by washing and drying them. Share them evenly between every plate, forming a mattress of leaves for every individual.
- As soon as the meat is completed, take it from the oven and let it sit for a couple of minutes earlier than slicing it into bite-sized chunks.
- Serve your pork stomach on high of the leaves with the rice on the facet.
- Any leftover pork stomach will preserve for 2 to a few months if you happen to freeze it (be certain that to make use of hermetic freezer containers), or for as much as 5 days within the fridge.
Learn how to steam rice
Wash 1 cup of rice until the water runs clear. Drain and set to 1 facet.
Carry 2 cups of water to boil. Add a wholesome pinch of salt, then the rice.
Cut back the warmth, cowl the pan, and let the rice simmer for quarter-hour. Test and see if all of the water has evaporated: if it has, the rice is finished. If it hasn’t, let it simmer for a couple of extra minutes until finished.
As soon as finished, take away from warmth and serve instantly.
What’s Korean soybean paste (doenjang)?
Korean soybean paste is made with fermented soybeans and brine. It’s typically used as a relish and is a byproduct of soy sauce manufacturing.
You’ll find this paste in your native Asian grocery, or on Amazon.
What’s Korean chili paste (gochujang)?
Korean chili paste is a spicy and barely candy pink chili paste produced from pink chili pepper flakes, sticky rice (also called glutinous rice), fermented soybeans, and salt.
As with Korean soybean paste, yow will discover Korean chili paste in Asian grocery shops or on Amazon.
You’ll find out extra about frequent components in Korean delicacies right here.
The rest I can use as a substitute of pork stomach?
You would do this recipe with beef brief ribs, pork shoulder (so long as you chop the pork shoulder into smaller items first), or country-style pork ribs.
What else can I serve with pork stomach?
Some tasty solutions are:
- Walnut, chicory and apple salad
- Sautéed veggies, akin to Chinese language broccoli in garlic sauce
- Mashed potatoes with a touch of mustard
Get pleasure from your pork stomach recipe!
Contributor – Barbara Fernandez
“Barbara Fernandez is a contract well being and way of life author and voiceover artist. She writes about all facets of well being and health, wellness, and vitamin. She additionally voices narrations and podcasts: every little thing from a personality voice giving math classes to kids to a pleasant voice for SaaS instruction movies.”