Makgeolli Margarita is a enjoyable Korean Mexican fusion drink that’s made with Korean rice wine Makgeolli and Tequila. It’s actually refreshing, milky and mildly candy. A wonderful drink for the summer time!
Makgeolli Margarita is a drink I had a number of years in the past at a well-known Korean Mexican fusion restaurant known as Vatos in Seoul. They known as it Mageollita and I ordered it and was blown away by how scrumptious it was. Since then, I’ve all the time needed to make one at residence, however I felt I actually didn’t have sufficient cocktail-making expertise to try such a drink.
However .. the final 2+ years of the pandemic modified all that.. 😝😜
Like many who needed to keep residence and needed to discover a method to entertain themselves, I began making completely different cocktails at residence for the primary time! Costco was promoting an ideal cocktail mixer set after which I used to be off!!
And I’ve to say I’m thrilled how this got here out! I’m so excited to share this recipe now and look ahead to seeing all of you take pleasure in this excellent drink this summer time!
What’s Makgeolli and finest Makgeolli to make use of?
Makgeolli is a Korean Rice Wine that was sometimes made at residence within the outdated days by fermenting candy or common white rice in water with a novel Korean wild yeast known as Nuruk. It’s milky, mildly candy, and bitter with a touch of banana. One may say it has a barely chalky texture with even very barely bitter tastes in some instances. It’s a nice filling drink that tastes nice by itself however even higher with Korean meals.
If you happen to’d like, you can also make Makgeolli at residence which will probably be even higher to make use of on this drink as a result of it’s boozier!! Selfmade Makgeolli can have nearly twice as a lot alcohol (as excessive as16%) as business ones. Learn my The way to make Makgeolli put up for the recipe! Actually, I like my do-it-yourself makgeolli so significantly better than business ones.
Additionally, right here’s my first put up on my Makgeolli mission with Vino Vargas the place I discover alternative ways of creating Makgeolli at residence utilizing completely different yeasts, longer fermentation and extra!
Learn my Final Information to Makgeolli put up together with my information on the components and tastes of various business Makgeollis. You might also discover the NY Occasions article on how this drink is gaining new recognition with many micro brewers in Korea.
BEST Makgeolli to USE for this recipe Is…
My favourite Magkeolli is that this one from Kooksoondang Draft Makgeolli 국순당 생 막걸리. It’s barely candy however has a very good stability of flavors and in addition is stuffed with stay energetic cultures. And it labored nice for this Makgeolli Margarita.
Positive, however I might attempt my unique model of my Makgeolli Margarita recipe first as a result of Makgeolli is sort of a gentle drink so the flavors can get misplaced in the event you add an excessive amount of fruit. It’s also possible to attempt utilizing flavored Makgeolli as a substitute.
Cointreau could be substituted with Triple Sec and even Grand Marnier.
In fact!! Selfmade Makgeolli will make an ideal margarita. Simply know do-it-yourself Makgeolli is much less candy and powerful in alcohol so you could want to regulate the recipe a bit by including extra syrup.
Suggestions for Makgeolli Margarita
- Gently shake your bottle of Makgeolli earlier than opening so the sediments are all combined effectively in as you pour it into your mixer. Simply tilt it in both route as a substitute of actually shaking.
- Modify the quantity of lime juice and syrup to your liking. It may definitely have much less syrup or extra.
- Use Maesil Cheong (Inexperienced Plum Syrup) as a substitute of Agave for much more Korean flavors!
- Don’t overdo it with the salt. This Margarita will not be as candy as another recipes so the salt could overpower the drink in case you have an excessive amount of salt coated on the rim.
The way to make Frozen Makgeolli Margaritas
Substances for 4 servings
- 1 cup Tequila Blanco (I used Dealer Joe’s)
- 1/2 cup Cointreau (substitute Triple Sec or Grand Marnier)
- 1 cup Makgeolli
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 5 Tbsp Agave Syrup
- 6 cups ice cubes
- kosher salt (elective for the rim)
- lime slices for adornment
Step by Step Directions
- If you wish to coat the rim with salt, take a wedge of lime and run the sting of the glass with the lime to coat it with lime juice. Then dip the rim of the glass in kosher salt. Don’t coat an excessive amount of salt as a result of then it is going to overpower the flavour of the drink.
- When pouring and measuring Makgeolli, be sure you gently tilt the bottle facet to facet so the sediments will probably be evenly combined in your pour. It ought to come out creamy and milky, not clear. Don’t shake the bottle although as a result of it will possibly explode in the event you do.
- In a blender, add 1 cup Tequila, 1/2 cup Cointreau, 1 cup Makgeolli, 1/4 cup lime juice, 5 Tbsp Agave syrup (or different candy syrups) and 6 cups ice.
- Mix till clean and slushy. Pour out onto 4 glasses and adorn with a slice of lime both twisted on prime or on the sting.
- Serve your frozen Makgeolli Margarita instantly and revel in!
The way to make Makgeolli Margarita on the rocks
To make an particular person serving of Makgeolli Margarita on the rocks, combine 1.5 oz tequila, 1 oz Cointreau, 1.5 oz makgeolli, 3/4 oz lime juice, 3/4 oz agave syrup in a cocktail shaker with some ice. Shake and blend the drink. Serve instantly in a margarita glass with a slice of lime on the rim. Coat the rim with salt beforehand if you wish to serve it that manner.
Different Makgeolli Recipes to attempt
When you’ve got leftover Makgeolli and wish to attempt another recipes, make some Makgeolli ice cream!
The way to make Makgeolli (Korean Rice Wine) Ice Cream with out an Ice Cream Machine. Creamy, barely candy with a wonderfully velvety texture.
The way to make refreshing, icy Makgeolli Frozen Margarita with Korean rice wine Makgeolli
Prep: 3 minutes
Prepare dinner: 2 minutes
Whole Time: 5 minutes
serves: 4 glasses
If you wish to coat the rim with salt, take a wedge of lime and run the sting of the glass with the lime to coat it with lime juice. Then dip the rim of the glass in kosher salt. Don’t coat an excessive amount of salt as a result of then it is going to overpower the flavour of the drink.
In a blender, add Tequila, Cointreau, Makgeolli, lime juice, agave syrup (or different candy syrups) and ice.
Mix till clean and slushy. Pour out onto glasses and adorn with a slice of lime both twisted on prime or on the sting.
Suggestions & Notes:
- Be at liberty so as to add extra syrup or attempt including Maesil Cheong as a substitute of agave syrup in case you have it!