Fall is right here, and meaning it’s radish peak season! It’s the right time to make mu-bap, Korean steamed radish rice. After I stroll via a Korean grocery retailer and spot a big, agency radish with a clean floor that’s extra inexperienced than white, I can’t assist however to select it up. They’re extremely versatile and can be utilized in a number of dishes. You may flip them into crispy radish kimchi, use them as a flavorful base for inventory, create an easy salad aspect dish like musaengchae, or, as I’ll be displaying you right now, remodel them into a tasty steamed radish rice often called “mubap” (pronounced moo-bahp).
This dish is totally vegan, however when you’d like so as to add some protein, Koreans usually use beef or oysters. For beef, merely slice it into skinny strips, season with a pinch of salt and floor black pepper, then add to the rice and cook dinner all of it collectively. In the event you go for oysters, select recent shucked ones and add them as you simmer the rice. Personally, today I benefit from the pure white mubap made simply with rice and radish. After I combine it with the seasoning sauce and take a chunk, it seems like a wholesome delight with each mouthful.
Get pleasure from!
- 1 pound Korean radish (or daikon), peeled and reduce into matchsticks
- 1 cup rice, washed and soaked in chilly water a minimum of for half-hour
For seasoning sauce:
- You’ve gotten the choice to make use of both a rice cooker or a pot for making this dish. In the event you select to make use of a pot, start by including half of the radish matchsticks to a medium-sized, heavy pot or pan.
- Drain the rice and add it to the pot, together with 1 cup of water.
- Place the remaining radish matchsticks on prime of the rice, after which put the lid on.
- Cook dinner over medium-high warmth for 10 minutes. Afterward, gently flip the radish rice over utilizing a rice scoop or a wood spoon.
- Cowl the pot once more, however this time cut back the warmth to medium-low and let it simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Open the pot and style a couple of grains of rice to make sure that each the rice and radish are cooked to your liking. As soon as they’re prepared, take away the pot from the warmth and canopy it to maintain the rice heat.
Put together the seasoning sauce:
- In a bowl, mix garlic, inexperienced onion, soy sauce, gochu-garu, sesame seeds, and sesame oil.
- Combine nicely.
- Switch the steamed radish rice to 2 giant, shallow bowls, and serve with the ready seasoning sauce.
- To eat, add a number of the sauce to the recent rice and blend nicely. Get pleasure from your scrumptious steamed radish rice with a flavorful seasoning sauce!