Jazz is probably not the very first thing that involves thoughts once you consider The Juilliard College, however maybe this sequence of Tiny Desks will change that. Tiny Desk and Jazz Night time in America have fun the twentieth anniversary of Juilliard Jazz with three Tiny Desk live shows that includes performances by present college students and alumni of the distinguished establishment.
When the starry-eyed college students of the Juilliard Jazz Ensemble first noticed the Tiny Desk, they stopped brief, exuding awe and wonderment. In any case, a number of of their favourite artists had carried out on this very house — and now right here they had been, able to show themselves and keep it up the legacy of each the Tiny Desk and jazz.
The Juilliard Jazz Ensemble carried out on the Tiny Desk in celebration of the jazz research program’s twentieth anniversary. Made up of present college students, the ensemble embodies the spirit of group and collaboration that’s a necessary a part of the scholars’ studying expertise.
The ensemble opens with “June” a hypnotic composition by alto saxophonist Coby Petricone-Berg. We perceive instantly regardless of the members’ relative youth, this ensemble is to not be trifled with. A shout-out to the rhythm part is totally needed, as drummer John Sturino, bassist Nico Martinez and pianist Esteban Castro lay again within the reduce whereas guaranteeing the trail forward for the horns, with Jasim Perales giving us soulful trombone, is easy like whipped shea butter. That is grade-A musicianship — everybody listening and unselfishly supporting one another.
For the ultimate choice, Ekep Nkwelle presents her association of Geri Allen‘s “Timeless Portraits and Desires.” Her voice soars on this contemplative ballad, an ideal nearer that enables every member of the ensemble to shine as they share the hope that, “In tomorrow’s world, let pleasure and love run free / Let’s maintain on to our goals.”
- “June” (Coby Petricone-Berg)
- “Timeless Portraits and Desires” (Geri Allen, arr. Ekep Nkwelle)
- Ekep Nkwelle: vocals
- Coby Petricone-Berg: alto saxophone
- Jasim Perales: trombone
- Esteban Castro: piano
- Nico Martinez: bass
- John Sturino: drums
TINY DESK TEAM
- Producer: Nikki Birch
- Audio Engineer: Josh Rogosin
- Director: Kara Body
- Inventive Director: Bob Boilen
- Sequence Producer: Bobby Carter
- Editor: Michael Zamora
- Videographers: Kara Body, Pierre Kattar, Michael Zamora
- Audio Assistant: Jospehine Nyounai
- Manufacturing Assistants: Jill Britton, Joby Tanseco, Alanté Serene
- Tiny Desk Crew: Suraya Mohamed, Marissa Lorusso, Hazel Cills, Ashley Pointer, Maia Stern
- VP, Visuals and Music: Keith Jenkins
- Senior VP, Programming: Anya Grundmann