Let’s make Korean-style Vietnamese rice paper rolls, referred to as wollamssam (월남쌈)!
That is one thing we Koreans take pleasure in in the summertime as a result of it’s contemporary and lightweight, fairly simple to organize, and is an off-the-cuff factor we will make and eat collectively. “Wollamssam” combines the Korean phrase for Vietnam (Wollam) with ssam, which suggests wrap. We tailored this dish from the Vietnamese, to go well with our personal style and magnificence for wraps. I don’t know precisely how these wraps got here to Korea from Vietnam, however by the top of the Nineties wollamssam grew to become actually common in Korea at residence and in eating places.
It’s simple to see why, it’s so wholesome and scrumptious. You need to use any and all your favourite stuff in these wraps (some Koreans use apples, bananas, kiwi, cooked eggs or quail eggs), however on this recipe at the moment I picked my favourite gadgets that go nicely collectively by way of texture, vitamins, and taste. Koreans like canned pineapple chunks of their wollamssam and make a sauce with the juice. I don’t actually like consuming chunks, so I attempted making a puree with the whole lot within the can, chunks and juice, after which added some peanut butter, onion, garlic, spicy pepper, and soy sauce. It tastes so good as a dipping sauce!
Once I lived in Korea I by no means tried an actual Vietnamese roll, I solely had the Korean model of wollamssam. Years later after I began dwelling within the West I attempted Vietnamese rice paper rolls (additionally referred to as spring rolls) and had the true ones for the primary time. Within the Korean approach of consuming wollamssam everybody has their very own plate, after which they take a skinny rice paper, dip it in heat water to melt it, add fillings, roll a pouch, after which eat. Every individual makes and eats their very own roll one after the other, till they’re full.
A few years in the past I visited my pal’s home in Toronto within the summertime and she or he made dinner for me. We had wollamssam collectively and we talked and ate and had a beautiful time. With wollamssam 2 folks can pleasantly take pleasure in speaking and consuming, chatting and spending time collectively till they end their meal.
When you have greater than 4 folks in a celebration, prep a pile of everybody’s favourite stuff, together with possibly bulgogi or roast rooster torn into strips, or pan-fried tofu and mushrooms for vegetarians, and pile the whole lot on the desk. Make a beneficiant quantity of dipping sauces. Put your tabletop fuel range on the desk such as you would for Korean BBQ, however with a pan of water on it for dipping rice papers. If the water temperature goes down, simply activate the burner and warmth it up once more. You don’t must run to the range, simply take pleasure in your celebration collectively on the desk!
For two servings.
For the peanut sauce (makes about 2 cups):
- 1 small can (8 ounces: 1 cup) of pineapple with the juice
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small serrano pepper (or jalapeño), chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ of a big lemon, squeezed (2 to three tablespoons of juice)
For the mango sauce:
- 1 giant peeled mango, pureed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons squeezed lemon juice
For the fish sauce combination:
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small serrano pepper (or jalapeño), chopped
For the wraps:
- 1 small bunch (50 grams) of mung bean vermicelli (or skinny rice noodles)
- 10 to 14 sheets of 22cm/8.5″ spherical rice paper
- 10 to 14 giant shrimp, shelled, deveined, and rinsed in chilly water
- 10 to 14 (or extra) leaves of lettuce
- 10 to 14 perilla leaves (elective)
- ½ of seedless English cucumber, lower into matchsticks
- 2 medium sized carrot, peeled and lower into matchsticks
- 2 cups purple cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 crimson bell pepper (or inexperienced bell pepper)
- 2 cups cilantro, washed and dried
- 1 giant avocado, lower in halves in lengthwise, pitted, peeled, and lower into slices
Make peanut sauce:
- Place all of the components for peanut sauce in a meals processor and mix for 1 to 2 minutes till creamy.
- Switch to a bowl, cowl and refrigerate.
Make mango sauce:
- Peel and lower off the flesh of a mango from across the stone. Minimize the items a couple of instances and add them to a meals processor.
- Drizzle the lemon juice and puree till easy. Cowl and refrigerate.
Make fish sauce combination:
Cook dinner shrimp:
- Convey 3 cups water in a steamer to a boil.
- Place the shrimp to the steamer basket. Cowl and steam for two to three minutes.
- Open and flip them over to prepare dinner evenly. Cowl and steam for an additional 2 to three minutes.
- Take away from the warmth. Switch to a plate.
Cook dinner the noodles:
- Convey a small pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and prepare dinner for 3 minutes, stirring a couple of instances till properly cooked.
- Drain and rinse in chilly operating water. Squeeze out the surplus water and switch to a bowl.
- Minimize the noodles a number of instances with kitchen scissors. Combine with 1 tablespoon squeezed lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
Put together the wrap components and the rice paper:
- Place the perilla leaves (if used), lettuce, noodles, cucumber, cabbage, carrot, avocado, and cilantro on a big platter. Drizzle 1 tablespoon lemon juice over the avocado to maintain it from going brown.
- Minimize off the highest and backside of the bell pepper. Make a slit on one aspect of the pepper. Take away the seeds and veins and lower the pepper into matchsticks. Put it on the platter.
- Place the platter on the desk together with shrimp.
- Divide every sauce into 2 servings and put them in entrance of you and your visitor.
- Set the rice paper on the desk however preserve it within the plastic bundle so it doesn’t draw moisture from the air.
- Put together 2 medium dimension plates a bit bigger than the rice paper, one for you, one in your visitor.
- Warmth up about 4 cups of water in a shallow pan till heat, however not boiling scorching. Put it on the desk.
Roll the wollamssam!
- Dip a bit of rice paper in heat water and put it on the serving plate.
- Add lettuce leaves, perilla leaves (if used) on the rice paper first, after which add the whole lot else you need, nearer to the entrance of the paper. Depart some room on the perimeters.
- Gently carry the sting of the paper closest to you and tuck within the sides in order that the whole lot stays tightly. Roll it up over the components.
- Choose up your roll and dip it into one of many sauces. Take a chew, after which spoon some sauce into the top of the roll (to forestall double-dipping) in your subsequent chew. Preserve making wraps and consuming them till you’ve had sufficient.